[linux-cifs-client] FC3 cifs freezing with big partitions!

Sanjay Darisi sanjay at mxinc.com
Fri Mar 11 17:21:44 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

I've upgraded from FC1 to FC3 on a linux box. Over a Terabyte of storage
box is attached to this server. I'm trying to copy a huge partition
(just file copying) from a windows 2K server to this storage box. Before
I initiated it, I wanted to see how big is the windows drive. I mounted
the drive as cifs partition using this command

mount -t cifs -o username=admin //192.168.x.x/Share$ /mnt/share

When I used du -sh to see the size of the parition, it froze the whole
server. I couldn't connect to this anymore. Unfortunately, I didn't have
physical access to this server when I was doing this. I vaguely remember
someone mentioned something like this in the past in the mailing list. I
couldn't find it though. Any ideas why its' happening. Its a default FC3
kernel, I suppose 2.6.9 ( does it come with 1.20 cifs version ??)  Do I
need to upgrade the cifs module?? will that fix it?? I appreciate any
fast response 'cos I need to get this up and running soon.

Thanks a lot,
Sanjay.

=======
http://www.TechiesAbode.com/
One point access to the world of software development.