[linux-cifs-client] osx-cifs-client ?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Mar 3 22:33:12 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 11:33:58AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:32:32PM -0600, Timothee Besset wrote:
> > Well I think are mistaken. And it's quite surprising for someone with an
> >  @samba.org email address. They have an smbfs client, but they don't
> > have a cifs client ( unless it's in the next release of OSX - Tiger -
> > which I didn't get my hands on yet ).
>
> SMB and CIFS are the same protocol. You're mistaken, not I :-). I've spent
> the week working with Conrad from Apple (the code maintainter of their
> CIFS client) here at Connectathon. So I wouldn't quibble about
> naming semantics with me :-). SMB == CIFS - remember that.

Since I also have a @samba.org mailing address, and since I enjoy
splitting hairs, I'll quibble a tiny bit.

I met you, Jeremy, a year or two after Microsoft first started using the
term "CIFS" (and I've been annoying you ever since).  In general, I
absolutely agree with you that CIFS is SMB with a shiny new name and the
rust still showing under the paint.  I find, however, that in
conversations within the SMB/CIFS community the term "SMB" is used more
often when talking about the filesharing protocol itself and the term
"CIFS" tends to lean toward the suite as a whole.  I find the (subtle)
distinction to be quite useful.

> > I need working file locking semantics, which only a CIFS client gives me..
>
> Exactly *what* locking semantics do you need ? This is funny as
> Steve Conrad and I have spent the week discussing how to add
> POSIX locking semantics into the UNIX extensions. Conrad is
> waiting on the POSIX locking code going into Samba3 to be able
> to provide the correct locking semantics to apps.

Kewl.

I really need to document the UNIX extensions...

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org