[linux-cifs-client] osx-cifs-client ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Mar 3 19:33:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:32:32PM -0600, Timothee Besset wrote:
> Well I think are mistaken. And it's quite surprising for someone with an
>  @samba.org email address. They have an smbfs client, but they don't
> have a cifs client ( unless it's in the next release of OSX - Tiger -
> which I didn't get my hands on yet ).

SMB and CIFS are the same protocol. You're mistaken, not I :-). I've spent
the week working with Conrad from Apple (the code maintainter of their
CIFS client) here at Connectathon. So I wouldn't quibble about
naming semantics with me :-). SMB == CIFS - remember that.

> I need working file locking semantics, which only a CIFS client gives me..

Exactly *what* locking semantics do you need ? This is funny as
Steve Conrad and I have spent the week discussing how to add
POSIX locking semantics into the UNIX extensions. Conrad is
waiting on the POSIX locking code going into Samba3 to be able
to provide the correct locking semantics to apps.

Jeremy.