[linux-cifs-client] Mounting directories below share level

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Mar 3 16:21:16 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 03:13:36PM +0000, J. A. Landamore wrote:
> >From my investigations, and searching the archives, it seems that smbfs can
> only mount shares, and not directories under the share
>
> i.e.
>
> smbmount //host/share /mnt		works
> smbmount //host/share/directory /mnt	doesn't work

Yes.  That's because the protocol itself wasn't really designed to do what
you're trying to do.

On the other hand, I just tried it and I can indeed mount a subdirectory
of a share under W2K.  I'll need to do a packet capture later on see
what's going on here.

The server in my little test was Samba, and I don't recall that we had to
do anything to specifically support this, so my guess (without looking at
captures) is that W2K is actually doing a tree connect to the share itself
and then mapping the drive letter to the subdirectory (sort of like the
old 'subst' command).

It's possible that the entire UNC path (including the subdirectory name)
is being provided in the TreeConnect...  I'd have to take a look.

Steve:  Any insight?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org