[linux-cifs-client] Problem creating long filenames using mapchars

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 28 23:02:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:16:50AM +1200, Don Riden wrote:
> I am having trouble using long filenames using a cifs client and the
> mapchars option.
>
> Mounted with mapchars set:
>
> (Creating files with long filenames containing ":" fails but a slightly
> shorter version does not)
>
> kalmik:/data1# touch
> /data1/evolution/config/.et-expanded-file:_home_carol.johnston_evolution_local_Activity_Plans.ZvQAJm
> touch: cannot touch
> `/data1/evolution/config/.et-expanded-file:_home_carol.johnston_evolution_local_Activity_Plans.ZvQAJm':
> No such file or directory
>
> touch
> /data1/evolution/config/.et-expanded-file:_home_carol.johnston_evolution_local_Activity_Plans
>
> works fine
>
> Mounted without mapchars:
>
> (Creating a file with a long filename works)
>
> touch
> /data1/evolution/config/et_expanded_file_home_carol_johnston_evolution_local_Activity_PlansZvQAJm
>

> Is there some built in character limit when using mapchars that I have
> missed?
>
> I am using a vanilla 2.6.12.1 Kernel and Samba 3.0.14a on Debian Sarge.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

This is something I just did work on in the CIFSFS client and the Samba
server code. With the latest (as yet unreleased) CIFSFS client code
and the latest Samba 3.0.20 pre-release you can use all POSIX characters
without any translation.

The mapchars code isn't well maintained at the moment.

Jeremy.