[linux-cifs-client] Problem creating long filenames using mapchars

Don Riden don.riden at elections.org.nz
Tue Jun 28 22:16:50 GMT 2005

I am having trouble using long filenames using a cifs client and the
mapchars option.

Mounted with mapchars set:

(Creating files with long filenames containing ":" fails but a slightly
shorter version does not)

kalmik:/data1# touch
/data1/evolution/config/.et-expanded-file:_home_carol.johnston_evolution_local_Activity_Plans.ZvQAJm
touch: cannot touch
`/data1/evolution/config/.et-expanded-file:_home_carol.johnston_evolution_local_Activity_Plans.ZvQAJm':
No such file or directory

touch
/data1/evolution/config/.et-expanded-file:_home_carol.johnston_evolution_local_Activity_Plans

works fine

Mounted without mapchars:

(Creating a file with a long filename works)

touch
/data1/evolution/config/et_expanded_file_home_carol_johnston_evolution_local_Activity_PlansZvQAJm

Is there some built in character limit when using mapchars that I have
missed?

I am using a vanilla 2.6.12.1 Kernel and Samba 3.0.14a on Debian Sarge.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Cheers

Don Riden