[linux-cifs-client] downloading cifs vfs via cogito/git

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 15 20:08:31 GMT 2005

Instructions on installing cogito/git are in step 1 of the writeup
	http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/26/11/index.html
He uses rsync to download the tree (in step 2 of his writeup) as
rsync -a --delete --verbose --stats --progress \
rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/.git

which is fine (substitute sfrench/cifs-2.6.git for torvalds/linux-2.6.git
to get a tree with the more current fs/cifs directory) but I prefer cg-clone
for step 2

cg-clone rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git

The files in fs/cifs directory can be used to replace those on most any kernel
from 2.6.10 on.  Running on slightly older kernels require minor changes to account
for kernel helper functions and changes to field names which I do by applying
a patch for this purpose which I keep in the cifs download directory on samba.org