[linux-cifs-client] Re: Non-bitkeeper way of getting cifs client ?

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 14 20:46:24 GMT 2005

> What are you moving to now bk is going away ?
> Is the latest cifsfs available via svn from samba.org ?

The kernel guys have moved to cogito/git tooling and to make updates to
mainline as painless the cifs vfs is on kernel.org git as well and is quite
current.  I am almost comfortable with the cogito/git tooling (certainly
beats svn and cvs for this kind of task) but need to think through how to
create branches for some of the common distribution kernel and for -mm
which is apparently easy but something I have not worked through yet.

Although bk://cifs.bkbits.net/linux-2.5cifs cifs vfs still is almost up to
date, the cifs vfs in the mainline kernel itself (ie 2.6.12-rc snapshots)
is completely up to date and is the better location to download the fs/cifs
directory from.  I will update samba svn for linux-cifs-client from time to
time but it is more than a month old.

The official location of the cifs vfs tree is
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git and the
beauty of git is that simple rsync of the .git directory works fine and
download is quite fast (orders of magnitude faster than bk was for my
laptop).

I am close to adding a key performance improvement to eliminate the extra
memcopy in the write (CIFSSMBWrite, usually called from cifs_writepage)
which also removes the large buffer (17K) slab allocation in the write path
which can cause slab fragmentation that hurts performance.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com