[linux-cifs-client] Async io support.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jun 10 23:42:38 GMT 2005

Steve, Conrad & Eric,

	I just finished adding aync io read/write support into Samba 3.x HEAD
for Volker (who has a specific need for it). However, it turns out
that for everyday use with Windows clients it hurts, not helps :-(.

This is because it seems they don't asynchronously send reads/writes but
wait for each reply before sending another. Bummer :-(. I suppose it might
help with terminal server clients - so long as they do async read/write
calls (hmmm. not sure if they do). Another reason is that the aio calls on
Linux are emulated with posix threads :-(.

However I was wondering if this would help the CIFSFS, HPUX or MacOS X clients ?

Do you currently do async read/writes ? If so, can you test against HEAD
to see if it has any effect on performance ?

Jeremy.