[linux-cifs-client] CIFS client and DFS roadmap

Ángel Galindo Muñoz agalindo at ub.edu
Fri Jun 3 13:37:40 GMT 2005

	Hi!

	I just need a confirmation. I want to access samba DFS shares from my
GNU/Linux clients. I've been reading mails froms the list, surfing the
web and doing tests and it seems that you still need to pass the "ip"
parameter to the mount.cifs command in order to mount a DFS share.

	I've tested with latest versions and certainly, if you do "mount.cifs
... -o ip=x.y.z.t. ..." then you can reach the bottom share (where
x.y.z.t is the IP address of the destination share).

	Of course, this lacks one of the DFS goodies : that the final
destination is transparent for the client. By now you need to know the
IP address of the destination UNC and this doesn't let me change the
destination without having to change the client's /etc/fstab, autofs map
or whatever. This is unacceptable in a production environment with
thousands of clients.

	So, nowadays the only way to connect transparently to a DFS share from
Linux is latest smbclient version. At least, 3.0.10 can't and 3.0.14a can.

	Is it ok? Am I wrong? More over, if that's ok then are there future
plans to solve it?

	Of course that we can also do the work with Samba without DFS, but
we're planning a huge SMB fileserver and this could lead us to take
different decisions in this early stage.

	Thanks everybody in advance and congratulations for your hard work. Bye!

	Excerpt from a mail of Jerry at "samba" list:

--
Angel Galindo Muñoz
University of Barcelona, Spain