[linux-cifs-client] Slow Samba Share access to CIFS-mount - Win2k3 Share

Dean Davis dean.davis at mbg-inc.com
Mon Jul 11 14:38:59 GMT 2005

Greetings CIFS-gods:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate list, however, I'd like to know
if anyone has experienced unusually-slow connections from Windows
clients (Windows 200x/XP) to Samba shares that are based on CIFS mounts?

My configuration is as follows:
Fedora Core 3 box(x86):
It mounts a remote CIFS-exported share from a Windows 2003 server
The Samba (FC3) 3.0.10 server then shares the mounted directory to my
local Windows clients for seamless access.

Attempts to access the Samba share, which is based on the CIFS mount of
the Windows 2003 server, takes several minutes from Windows 200x/XP
clients to simply render the directory list. Oft-times the directory
list isn't returned; the request simply times out.

This issue was non-existent a few weeks ago when I mounted the exported
share using SMBFS, however, our share-provider has since upgraded the
box to Windows 2003, and we're stuck with the current configuration.

I've re-created the environment internally, on the LAN, using a Win2k3
server, and same result; consistent time-outs, leading me to believe
there's some bug in the mount.cifs implementation, or with Win2k3.

Any insight, tweaks, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
--
Dean Davis,RHCE,MCSE,MCDBA,CCNA,Linux+
Sr. Network Engineer

--
The information in this email (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged.
Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution,
retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it (including any attachments) is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and
delete the message, all attachments, and any copies thereof from your system and destroy any printout thereof.

dangerous content and is believed to be clean.