[linux-cifs-client] UTF-8 filenames

Javier de Pedro jdepedro at prodys.net
Wed Jul 6 15:52:42 GMT 2005

Hello.

I want to use CIFS with UTF-8 filenames. I have a shared directory in
Windows XP with filenames in russian and chinese.

I have two Linux PC:

PC 1
	ubuntu 5.04 (kernel 2.5.10-5 i686, samba 3.0.10)

PC 2
	redhat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8 i686)
	kernel patched with cifs-1.20c-2.4.tar.gz
	cifs compiled into the kernel (not as a module)
	mount.cifs compiled from samba 3.0.14a.tar.gz

In PC1, if I mount the shared directory with:

>mount -t cifs //10.0.0.89/TestUnicode
unicode -ouser=linux,password=linux,iocharset=utf8

then I execute 'ls unicode' and the russian and chinese filenames are shown
ok

In PC2, if I mount the shared directory with the same command, when I
execute 'ls unicode' I get the message "Segmentation fault" and nothing is
shown.

In PC2, if I mount the shared directory without the option "iocharset=utf8",
I can execute 'ls unicode', but now the russian/chinese filenames are not
shown properly (names with ??????)

I don't know what to do. It is possible to use cifs with unicode filenames
with kernel 2.4?
Please, could you help me?

Thanks!