[linux-cifs-client] SMB DataCount vs. TotalDataCount

Nick Millington Nick.Millington at sonos.com
Thu Feb 10 22:26:43 GMT 2005

I have a situation in which CIFS FS has trouble parsing the response to
FindFirst directory enumeration requests from a "Snap Server"
(http://www.snapappliance.com/) 1100 NAS.  The basic issue is that
CIFSFindFirst appears to stash "DataCount" bytes of directory
enumeration response, but the response from the snapserver really lasts
for "TotalDataCount" bytes.  This much is clear from a packet sniffer.
Since CIFS FS only processes DataCount bytes instead of TotalDataCount
bytes, the latter part of the data in the directory enumeration response
is never processed.

What is the difference between DataCount and TotalDataCount?  I looked
at a bunch of other devices, both NAS and Windows, and I never saw any
difference between these two values in FindFirst response SMBs.  The
CIFS spec isn't that helpful either, it says DataCount is "Data Bytes
sent this buffer" while TotalDataCount is "Total data bytes being sent".

By the way, Windows XP doesn't have any trouble handling this request;
it enumerates the directory on the snap server 1100 without difficulty.
Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

thanks,
Nick