[linux-cifs-client] cifs 1.39a

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Sun Dec 18 14:55:31 GMT 2005

Steven,

I wrote:

> On a vanilla 2.6.14 I get
>
> *** Warning: "pagevec_lookup_tag" [fs/cifs/cifs.ko] undefined!
> *** Warning: "__pagevec_release" [fs/cifs/cifs.ko] undefined!
>
> when build CIFS as a module.

I found out.

cifs_writepages() in fs/cifs/file.c calls pagevec_lookup_tag() which is
in mm/swap.c.

Since I have a small embedded system _without_ any swap partition I
disabled "Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap)" (CONFIG_SWAP).

So because cifs_writepages() is wrapped CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL I must
not enable this. Right?

What does cifs_writepages() do? Swap partition on a Samba share?

Would the rest of CIFS still work without the swap stuff?

Cheers,

Steven