[linux-cifs-client] Acls bite again.

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Thu Dec 1 16:45:41 GMT 2005

Le Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:20:09 -0600
Steven French <sfrench at us.ibm.com> écrivait:

> It is possible, and probably not even that hard to map the two (Samba
> already has such code for the reverse case) - I can get you started,
> but I am swamped.

I sort of understood that already  :)

> ... so the only issue is that there are Windows ACLs which are hard
> to represent perfectly in POSIX ACLs - but if the primary guy
> writing and reading them are the remote clients you are probably ok.

Excellent. The way the Samba server represents windows ACLs is "good
enough" for me. Would you by any chance know where in the samba source
tree the windows ACLS-to-POSIX ACLs mapping is done, so I can "reverse"
it as accurately as possible ?

> Take a look at the tool smbcacls in the samba tree as well.

Arrrrgh. I didn't know this tool, and it would have saved me countless
headaches.

I'm trying to achieve something that sounds all simple and easy, and
would be useful to almost all and every samba users out there :
first backup a window machine _from_the_samba_server_, files and ACLs.
Then be able to share the saved files with samba, still preserving the
ACLs.
I think backing up the files first (using rsync or whatever), then the
ACLs in a second pass will be a fine start. However I need to get the
windows->POSIX mapping right, so that the samba server simulates
accurately the windows share the other way around (was it clear? hum..)