[linux-cifs-client] Removing change notification on fd close

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 22 01:07:51 GMT 2005

Not sure about fcntl(fd, F_NOTIFY, 0) - we should cross post this to
linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org and/or linux-fsdevel at vger.kernel.org to ask

On the case of the user closing the file handle it is trickier - I would
expect (you ought to verify this) that the server releases the notify
automatically when the associated file handle is closed - but it might  not
be closed until the last handle on that inode (at least from that client)
is closed.   Not sure what the right behavior is.   We would have to try
some local fs Linux notify experiments - open an inode twice - do a notify,
close its file handle - see what happens.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org wrote on
08/20/2005 04:47:06 PM: