[linux-cifs-client] disabling byte range locking

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 19 18:58:57 GMT 2005

To disable byte range locking requests going over the wire, I have added
the new mount option "nobrl" ("no byte range lock") which is an ugly name,
but I could not think of anything else short that was any better.    If
someone has a better name or synonym that would be more intuitive, let me
know.

This option is needed for relatively few applications (e.g. at least some
versions of the evolution email client) - but at least one that can not
handle advisory locks being turned into mandatory locks.  It won't be
needed at all to future versions of Samba that support posix locking over
the wire.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com