[linux-cifs-client] CIFS Mount crash

Josef Moffett moffett at secureit-mu.com
Thu Aug 18 14:48:06 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have googled around a bit for this, but don't get very much joy. The
closest to this was with a usb device, and changing the settings as
suggested didn't change much.

Now for the description of the problem:

I am running a Win 2003 domain controller, with a Suse 9.1 box connected
on Samba CIFS. The only duty of the Samba client is to connect via a
bash script and rsync the data across prior to being backed up onto tape.

The mount operation works just fine. Individual file transfers of SMALL
files (ie less than about 2Mb - but this is not a given, it can
occaissionally handle a 100Mb plus file no problem - if the wind is in
the west and the moon is in gemini). But the moment it tries to rsync it
gets tied up after about 5 - 15minutes depending on the above parameters
(ie seems to be arbitrary).

Basically at this point the machine just hangs up. Complete lockout. No
response to any keypress (running a console - so no X to worry about)
nothing. Only solution is to pull the plug and reboot. No umount, no
nothing.

And the worst of it is, no log information. Samba log empty, message log
clean, nothing in them that even sniffs of wierdness or anything. Last
entry is just the last legitimate thing the machine I did before the
storm. Just dead in the water.

And the Windows Server doesn't bat an eyelid about it - just notes it as
a timed out connection and carries on with life.

Here's my samba config:
# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
        workgroup = TUX-NET
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
        bind interfaces only = true
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        map to guest = Bad User
        client signing = yes
        server signing = auto
 >>        use sendfile = no
 >>        large readwrite = no
 >>        max xmit = 16644

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        browseable = No
        read only = No
[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        writeable = Yes
        inherit permissions = Yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
        comment = All groups
        path = /home/groups
        writeable = Yes
        inherit permissions = Yes
[pdf]
        comment = PDF creator
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u
'%u' -z %z
        create mask = 0600
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        create mask = 0600
        browseable = No
[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin root
        force group = ntadmin
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

the lines with the >> indicate manual changes (after reading the message
with the USB problem which suggested a similar set of symptoms) to the
default samba settings as from the Suse install. They were input as a
result of thinking it may have something to do with transmit size.

I am no guru on this, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Joe