[linux-cifs-client] Replacing NFS

Haakon Riiser haakon.riiser at fys.uio.no
Wed Apr 27 18:13:11 GMT 2005

I recently noticed that NFS is about an order of magnitude slower
than CIFS when my file server is heavily loaded.  An operation as
simple as writing the shell's history file will take around two
seconds via NFS, while CIFS usually manages it in 0.2 seconds,
which is almost as fast as doing it locally on the server.

Based on this, I would really like to get rid of NFS in favor of
CIFS, but there is one problem I haven't been able to figure out
yet:  CIFS appears to require that I log in as a regular Samba
user, and all further file operations will be done by that user,
no matter who performs the file operation on the client side.

What I need is the type of behavior I have on NFS with
no_root_squash enabled.  E.g., I need stuff like this to work
over CIFS:

   $ sudo -u daemon touch foo
   $ sudo chown root foo

Can it be done?  Thanks in advance for any replies.

--
 Haakon