[linux-cifs-client] Re: mount error 112 = Host is down

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 25 18:53:08 GMT 2005

> mount -t cifs -o username=blah,workgroup=blah.com, rw
//server/share/mnt/share
> and it returns me
> mount error 112 = Host is down
>
> When I do the same thing with smbfs(instead of cifs), it works fine
> but I cannot use symbolic links.
>
> Do I miss something? What do I do wrong?

Your mount syntax does not look right.  Try something like.

mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/share -o username=blah

Note that "rw" is the default and is not needed, but in any case, rw would
have followed the username parm or one of the other options after -o, but
with no spaces between options.  Also note that workgroup is normally the
(up to 15 byte) Netbios name of the workgroup (or SMB domain), and is often
not needed.  There may be cases where workgroup would be blah.com but it
seems unlikely.

If that still fails, it is likely that "server" is not valid in DNS, try
the fully qualified name (probably server.blah.com) and also check if you
can ping the server (or use dig or nslookup on the server name).  Or
perhaps simpler try mounting with the ip address of the server instead of
its hostname to make sure that the ip address is reachable.