[linux-cifs-client] Unix Extensions & Limitations

Mark Reis mcr2z at cs.virginia.edu
Mon Apr 25 18:28:57 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am running into what looks like a limitation of mount.cifs - Is there
a way to get mount.cifs to ignore unix extensions on a per-connection
basis and not use the -o noparm option? The -o noparm option concerns me
if used on a multiple user client. Has there ever been a discussion
about implementing a UID mapping option? (ie: some way to say
localuserX-UID=serveruserY-UID).

The following scenario is a problem:

Client (Linux) - Research machine
 UID=111 for researcherA

Server (Solaris)
 UID=9999 for researchaccountX

researcher A attempts:
mount.cifs //server/researchaccountX /home/researcherA/researchaccountX
-o username=researchaccountX,domain=WINDOM

Researcher A is now unable to write to the mounted research account X.

Now the -o noparm option is a bit of a security concern in that it
allows any user on the Client to write to that directory. I suppose a
work around is to make a parent directory for the mount and chmod it to
700. Has there been any discussion on allowing a -o flag for mapping a
local UID to a server UID? Or - have an option that would make
mount.cifs behave like old 2.x mounts?

Thank you,
Mark Reis
UVa CS