[linux-cifs-client] fluctuating file count on a CIFS mount

Geert Fannes Geert.Fannes at ikanconsulting.com
Tue Apr 5 09:45:54 GMT 2005

Hello, I have a directory on a CIFS mount containing a lot of files. I
noticed that tab-completion was not working consistently and after I did
some test, the number of files on that share were not constant:

gef at ivon slovakia $ ls -ltr | wc

   3276   26210  349507

gef at ivon slovakia $ ls -ltr | wc

    842    6734   78810

gef at ivon slovakia $ ls -ltr | wc

    842    6734   78810

gef at ivon slovakia $ ls -ltr | wc

    842    6734   78810

gef at ivon slovakia $ ls -ltr | wc

   3240   25922  340725

gef at ivon slovakia $ ls -ltr | wc

3793     30350  409483

So apparently the number of files ranges from 842 to 3793, which is a
bit strange since there was no activity on that directory. Is this a
known problem? Any idea how I can fix this?

Greetings,

Geert.