[linux-cifs-client] cifs write performace is bad compared to smbfs

Martin Loewer mloewer at web.de
Sat Sep 25 16:43:24 GMT 2004

Hi ,

I am using an Debian Sarge client (Kernel 2.6.8-1-686)   and an Samba 3.0.7 Server on an AIX 5.2 Server .

If I am using the smbfs kernel module I got a write data rate about 6 MByte/s.

If I mount the same share with the cifs module I got a write data rate about 700 KByte/s .

The problem seems to be on the server side because, if I monitor the fileaccess I got the following :
CIFS:                                 SMBFS:
30472  jfs2log                   64            jfs2log
74760 /dev/ftplv               2096896   /dev/ftplv

which means:
CIFS      : 2 accesses to the file for  one to the journal log .
SMBFS   :  32764 accesses to the file for one to the journal log.

That is  a big difference .

Has anynody an idea what the problem is ???
No special Options for the clients, my samba config is below.

Regards  Martin

security = user

  #performance section
   read raw = yes
   write raw = yes
   oplocks = True
   fake oplocks = no
   log level = 1                      # Default is 0
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
   max xmit = 65535                   # Default
   dead time = 15                     # Default is 0
   getwd cache = yes

[upload]
   comment = write only upload share
   path = /home/ftp/incoming