[linux-cifs-client] Mounting over forwarded ports

James Roper u3205097 at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 12 02:14:01 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am trying to mount a share on a Windows XP server through a port forwarded
over SSH (the XP server is behind a firewall and there is a linux box that I
have ssh access to on its subnet).  So, I tried forwarding port 1139 to 139
on the windows XP server.  Using smbclient:

smbclient //PJ-COMPUTER/SharedDocs -p 1139 -I 127.0.0.1

everything went fine.  Using mount.cifs, with the following entry in fstab:

//PJ-COMPUTER/SharedDocs  /home/shared    cifs
guest,rw,uid=jazzy,gid=jazzy,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,port=1139,ip=127.0.0.1
0   0

I get the following error:

# mount /home/shared
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name PJ-COMPUTER/SharedDocs not
found  rc = 16720
Password:
mount error 112 = Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I added PJ-COMPUTER to /etc/hosts and pointed it to 127.0.0.1 to get rid of
the first error, but the second one persisted.  Replacing PJ-COMPUTER with
127.0.0.1 doesn't help either.  When I tried forwarding port 139 instead of
1139 on my local machine, I got the same error but it took a lot longer for
it to give me that error (indicating that it is actually making contact with
the other end).  I am able to mount the share from the remote linux machine
that I'm using to forward the ports (running Fedora Core 2),
I'm running debian testing with a mostly standard 2.6.6 debian kernel (patched
with skas, other than that its a standard debian kernel and config), using
the latest mount.cifs from CVS (1.2.2.16).

Also, I was still prompted for a password even though I had guest set.

James