[linux-cifs-client] Read/Write attribute changes on server not reflected in client mo unt

Hill, Richard richard.hill at siemens.com
Mon Oct 25 16:59:57 GMT 2004

I'm running CIFS-VFS 1.20 on a Debian 3 (2.6.8) system and am connecting to
a Win2K Server.

I can mount the share, and when I do 'ls -l' on a directory in the share I
see all the correct r/w permission bits (i.e. files that are read only have
the 'w' bit cleared).

However, if I change the r/w permission using a Windows client connected to
the same share, the change is not reflected in the Linux CIFS mount. I know
the change is happening because the Windows client sees it right away.
Also, if I umount the CIFS share then mount it again the new permissions
show up.

I've tried building cifs.ko with CIFS_FCNTL #defined (according to the
README) but this doesn't seem to have any affect.
I tried setting file_mode=0700 in the mount.cifs command but this doesn't
have any effect on the permission bits.

Should this feature work, or am I trying to debug something that hasn't been
implemented yet?

Richard Hill
Level Instrumentation Software Developer
Siemens PI5
Peterborough, ON
Canada