[linux-cifs-client] dfs and samba

Andrea Prunic andrea at yu.net
Mon Oct 25 07:47:47 GMT 2004

Hello all.

I've already asked this question here, but got no answer whatsoever, so
let's go again...

I need to create a dfs network in my department using samba and windows
machines, where there are no windows servers to act as a dfs root.
Therefore, I've used samba to be a dfs root, and done everything as is
written in samba docs, but I just can't browse dfs network.
When I try to access symlink in dfs root on one samba machine that's
pointing to a share on the very same machine, I get an error that the
object is not accessibe.
Same thing happens if the link points out to another machine's share as
well.

Now, with smbclient I can mount both shares regulary, but I can't follow
symlinks in dfs root no way. Tried with smbclient, tried mounting shares
with smbmount and cifs-mount with simple file manager after mounting,
and still nothing - it's always the same error.

Can anybody give me working instructions how to set up dfs using samba
and what client to use for Linux?

Thanks.

--
Andrea Prunic, System Engineer