[linux-cifs-client] w2k server "unix extensions"?

Markus Siebeneicher m.siebeneicher at hildegard-braukmann.de
Fri Oct 22 11:26:55 GMT 2004

hallo list,

i'm working in a heterogenous network with a lot of w2k/nt4 clients,
some nt server(ie domain controllers), a w2k fileserver and a debian
webserver(2.6.8) box. so, the w2k fileserver shares the home directories
of our users and the webserver should mount the fileserver home
directories like the w2k/nt clients with all permissions on dirs and
files. on the debian box the mounting process comes without varying
authentication user:password pair, allways root mounts with admin:pass
the whole share and should have full access to all directories. winbind
does the rest... all fine. the goal is, that apache on the webserver not
only authenticate the current webserver against winbind accounts, but
also to authorize the current user with the apache mod_auth_pam aigainst
the mounted fileserver share. i'm not sure if this solution works, i am
hopefully...

problem: when the deb box mounts the w2k share the dirs have allways
same permissions. i found out, that unix extensions have to be enabled
on the server which shares to have not default uid:gid and masks. so, i
ask my self if it is possible to mount by using mount.cifs a w2k share
and have original permissions? maybe this is the wrong list to ask cos
w2k specific, but i dont know where to look in the win world because i
think 'unix extensions' is just a phrase from the samba config, isn't
it? my concern is to know how to enable 'unix extenions' on the w2k server.

mounting:

# mount.cifs //fileserver/data /fileserver/ -o
user=admin,pass=<pass>,domain=<domain>,uid=0,gid=0

# ls -l /fileserver

drwxrwxrwx  1 root root       0 2004-10-20 08:46 abteilung
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root       0 2004-10-22 09:11 anw
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root       0 2004-10-01 09:32 apps
-rwxrwSrwt  1 root root  117004 1994-04-29 00:36 ARJ.EXE
-rwxrwSrwt  1 root root    1104 2004-10-12 12:32 CASMULTI
-rwxrwSrwt  1 root root      64 2004-09-08 15:49 DB1.ldb

many thanks...

markus