[linux-cifs-client] Re: [samba@cleanh2o.com: [Samba] cifs problems with multiple linux boxes hitting W2K shares, cifs-1.20c-2.4, linux 2.4.27 kernel]

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 20 23:39:54 GMT 2004

Some fixpacks (?) of Windows servers had a bug/feature in which they
would close existing tcp sessions from clients that appeared to be
coming from the same source ip address (which would be the case if both
client machines were behind a Network Address Translator for example)
this could cause frequent reconnections.  There may be other more
obvious explanations (an ethereal trace or binary tcpdump trace (tcpdump
-w savefilename -s256) of the session reconnection storm would be more
helpful)

I don't remember off hand whether the 1.20c version of the code handled
the mount parm (after -o) of "netbiosname=SOMEMCNENAME" e.g (I don't
have any systems easily bootable to 2.4 kernel at the moment - they all
run 2.6 around here most of the time) and the netbiosname does not
really matter if you are using the default port (445) as that does not
use it but certainly more recent versions of the code allow you to
override the port (on mount after -o) with port=139.