[linux-cifs-client] Re: [Bug reports mount.cifs on Mandrake 10]

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 14 17:36:42 GMT 2004

> I'm running mandrakelinux 10.0 with regular kernel 2.6.3-7mdk
> and i'm not able to mount  through samba the directories shared by a
> win2K3 machine

I would not recommend using that older version of cifs.  On that version,
your best option may be the userspace tool smbclient or the Java CIFS
client, neither of which are ideal but are probably more stable than smbfs
which in turn on that early 2.6 kernel version was more stable than cifs.

Midway through 2.6.5 development the kernel merged a large set of fixes
for cifs (taking it from version 0.94 (see the top of the file
fs/cifs/CHANGES) to a much more recent, more stable version).   I can
point someone to what to do to backport the 2.6.9 cifs code (version 1.22)
to that earlier kernel if someone has the time to tackle it (there are at
least five or six sets of changes that would have to be made to the 2.6.9
code to back out sideeffects of global vfs changes but they are doable).
With version 1.07 of cifs vfs it was much improved.  The experimental flag
officially was taken off CIFS in the kernel config in version 1.19 (just
after 2.6.7 kernel was released).

If anyone wants to take a crack at building/merging 1.22 cifs to earlier
kernel versions let me know and I can give some pointers.  SLES9 (2.6.5+)
was not too bad a backport so I expect that other earlier 2.6 based ones
would be only slightly harder.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com