[linux-cifs-client] Re: samba bug

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 11 18:23:50 GMT 2004

> My samba version is 3.0.7.(fedora core 1)
>I set smb.conf following:
>[authdir]
>  public = no
>  path = /home/authdir
>  write list = barry
>  create mask=0600
>  directory mask=0700
>
>[root at fedora home]# ls -l
>drwxrwxrwt   root root  authdir

>when barry login samba,can not create directory or files in authdir.
> So I delete "write list=barry",and enter "writable=yes",and  restart
samba,
> then barry can create or files in authdir. so i think it is a bug.all
right?
> (option "write list" has problem.)

I just tested on three shares
[temp]
 path= /tmp/temp
 write list = barry

[temp1]
 path= /tmp/temp1
 writeable = yes

[temp2]
 path= /tmp/temp2

If I specify the user "barry" on the mount from the client (e.g. "mount -t
cifs //server/temp /mnt -o user=barry") then I am able to create files in
the first two shares but not in the third.  It appears that at least on
current 3.0.7 write list works.

Three obvious things to check -
1) verify that you really are mounting with user id barry  (you can e.g.
do smbstatus on the server) and that such a user exists in the server (not
just in /etc/password but in the samba password file)
2) verify that you are not authenticating as a guest (you can do this
various ways including using a network analyzer such as ethereal)
3) on the server itself verify that you have write permission to that
directory as the user (on the server "cd /home/authdir" then "su barry"
then try to create a file) since many operating systems now support more
complex ACLs beyond the normal Unix mode bits.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com