[linux-cifs-client] Re: I can't get the CIFS module working and I've read everything that I can

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 11 15:53:01 GMT 2004

> mount error 22 = Invalid argument
> this server is in the "Exchange" domain

A minor point is that you are setting the domain to a different domain
than the one your server is in, but that is less likely to be the problem.

Some important questions:

1) 2.4 or 2.6 Linux kernel (specific mount error messages aren't returned
very well in 2.4 kernels so you may need to look at the output of dmesg).
2) which version of the cifs code (see the top of fs/cifs/CHANGES). On 2.6
kernels
you can now display the version via modinfo on the cifs.ko module as well.
 If you are using 2.4 kernel the cifs client code you would be downloading
would be 1.20c and fs/cifs/CHANGES would show version 1.20
3) Do you have a mount.cifs file installed (usually in /sbin) and which
version of the mount.cifs mount helper (type "/sbin/mount.cifs -V")
4) what is the target server's operating system and version

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com