[linux-cifs-client] Devolpment problem

James Roper u3205097 at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 7 08:30:35 GMT 2004

I've been stuck on this problem for quite a while now...

In trying to develop an async readpages operation, my current implementation
of cifs_readpages seems to leave cifs in a bad state.  A single call to it,
lets say I copy a 40KB file:
cp cifsmountpoint/test .
works fine.  The file is copied perfectly and the system is still usable after
that (ie I can do anything other than interact with the cifs filesystem).
However, lets say a few seconds after that I do something else that interacts
with the cifs module, eg
ls cifsmountpoint
the computer freezes, and I have to reboot.

So my conclusion is that my cifs_readpages routine isn't cleaning up properly.
However I have no idea what it's not cleaning up that could possibly freeze
the system, whether it's the page cache list given to it, the cifs buffer,
the xid, midq, tcp semaphore, or what.  According to syslog, the xid is
freed, I've already experienced and got rid of the lovely bug output when you
don't free all the cache pages.  And the rest of those things should at worst
only cause the program to hang or cause memory leaks, not freeze the OS.

Any ideas of what could cause that?

Thanks,

James