[linux-cifs-client] dfs - how to make it work

Andrea Prunic andrea at yu.net
Tue Oct 5 10:13:00 GMT 2004

Hello all.

I have been trying for some time to make a msdfs tree using samba as dfs
root and clients as well (most of my machines are Linux), but I can't
make the bloody thing work - no way.

I've setup one samba server with dfs support, just the way it is in the
official documentation, but I can't use the dfs link I've created
(everything is lowercased, just to be on the safe side). Everytime I try
to access it from Linux machine using smbclient or mount.smbfs or
mount.cifs (kernel has support for both) I get directory listing
correctly, where I can see my dfs link, but when I try to do cd link, I
get NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND.

I've tried debugging it, but the message is actually the same - object
not found...

Now, I don't know if smbclient or any other usertool coming with samba
is too stupid to know how to follow this dfs link or I need something
special (magic powers, x-ray eyesight, whatever) to make it work, but
I'm quite frustrated with the docs as well, because there is NO word in
it about using dfs under Linux (can smbclient be used, if not, what to
use etc.)

You might want to know why do I want it - because I have a mixed
environment, and I need to have distributed file system WITHOUT file
replication, like AFS/CODA/something (no, I don't want to mess my life
with NFS), which is a perfect role for msdfs.

So, if somebody knows how in the world to make it work, please let me know.

Thanks, Andrea

--
Andrea Prunic, System Engineer
-----