[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs needing netbios

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 1 14:13:47 GMT 2004

>> I have this samba 3.x server that runs on port 445 (only).
>> I can't mount that with the cifs module since somehow cifs needs the
>> netbios services.
>
> Sorry! I was unclear, i was watching a tcpdump log, and
> it shows that it's accessing port 137, and that's UDP.

cifs vfs (e.g, mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt) does not use port 137,
in fact it doesn't use any UDP port.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any cases in which smbfs (mount -t
smbfs ) needs port 137 either.  I usually run my samba servers with nmbd
off, only running smbd so port 137 is clearly not required.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com