[linux-cifs-client] Re: CaseInsensitivePassword

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Tue Nov 30 15:22:24 GMT 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 06:38:33PM -0600, Steven French wrote:
> > smbfs sends CaseSensitive- and CaseInsensitivePassword
> > (what Ethereal calls Unicode/ANSI passwords),
> > while cifs-vfs only sends the latter.
> That sounds backwards, but you may be close to what is related to your
> issue.

Yes, sorry, I meant "only sends the former".

> There are a few ways to test this theory (e.g. turning off lanman password
> support in  windows registry or smb.conf and see what happens)

On one of the nodes, I added "client lanman auth = no" to smb.conf. I
tried mounting the share with smbclient and, poof, it can no longer be
accessed. The client only sends one password. Samba sends the usual,
bogus authentication probe ("sambatest"+nmbname) that is meant to fail,
then the real authentication request, with the right user, but no
passwords at all. I guess this is a problem with Samba, if at all.

Thank you very much for your help.

PS
You might want to add a remark to the code commented out, so that others
with doubts like mine will know right away why you're sending just one
form of the password.

--
Rudi