[linux-cifs-client] FC3 and cifs

Bertrand forumemail2 at softhome.net
Sun Nov 28 09:48:45 GMT 2004

I have mounted the samba server on the FC3 notebook using smbfs or cifs.
Both works but there are a few differences that I want to share with
you:

When I use smbfs:
1. mounting & unmounting work fine through fstab
2. nautilus is slow and often bugs reading the server files
3. Gnome puts automatically an icon on my desktop when I mount the file
with fstab

When I use cifs:
1. mounting works fine but unmounting often bugs (either manually or
when stopping the PC)
2. nautilus is faster (especially for the first connection to the
server) and seems to work better
3. Gnome does not add an icon on my desktop when I mount the file with
fstab

To mount the server, I use the following fstab line :

//192.168.0.4/bg   /mnt/serveur   cifs
rw,uid=bgirin,credentials=/etc/samba/pwd_bg  0 0

Very often the unmounting fails (both when i stop the PC or when i
umount manualy)

Any idea why sometimes the unmounting fails ?

Bertrand