[linux-cifs-client] Permission denied when accessing WIN2K3 shares!

Sanjay Darisi sanjay at mxinc.com
Wed Nov 24 00:10:55 GMT 2004

I couldn't access win2k3 server shares from my FC2 box. It's got default Fedora Core 2 installation.

Kernel: 2.6.5-1.358
Samba: samba-3.0.3-5

I've tried with both smbfs and cifs options. This is what happens,

With smbfs:

$ mount -t smbfs -o username=admin //ServerIP/sharename /mnt/sharename
password:
$
$ ls /mnt/sharename
ls: /mnt/sharename: Permission denied
$
$ ls -l /mnt/
?--------- ? ?    ?       ?                 ?  sharename
$ less /proc/mounts | grep sharename
//ServerIP/sharename /mnt/sharename smbfs rw,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775 0 0
$ umount /mnt/sharename
$ ls -l /mnt/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096     Oct 25 09:42  sharename

With cifs:

$ mount -t cifs -o username=admin //ServerIP/sharename /mnt/sharename
password:
 CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
 CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
$

I can access these shares from a FC1 box with default installation. The FC1 box has 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl and samba-3.0.0-15 (default installation). I can mount and access these shares well from this FC1 box except that it has got 2GB file limitation. It chokes on files greater than 2GB so I want to try with 2.6 kernel and see if it gets over the limitation. And another limitation on this FC1 box is lack of extended ASCII character support ( unicode??) in the smbfs mounted share. I want to eliminate these two limitations. Are there any patches available?? Does the newer versions of samba and kernel 2.6 eliminate these two limitations???

Thank you,
Sanjay.