[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS "POSIX" ACLs over the wire and DosAttrib xattr

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 19 22:36:21 GMT 2004

>> but am not planning on sending
>> requests for "user.DosAttrib" over the wire).
>
> Why are you getting access to the ea directly

I want a way that a backup app (or any linux app for that matter) could
get at -
1) the create time
2) the dos attributes

The protocol gives these to me in QPathInfo anyway (which e.g. is called
for lookup / getattr).

When I am mounted to Windows (or Samba or any cifs box for that matter) I
have these in my cifs vfs specific part of the local inode, so why not
make it possible for a local Linux app to view them?  I don't ever plan to
send queries to Samba server for user.DosAttrib (that would make no sense
- SMB QPathInfo is faster).

Since various Linux local filesystems such as JFS and NTFS (and VFAT etc.)
also have fields in their on disk format for these it seems sensible that
they would also special case user.DosAttrib and return to apps that ask.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com