[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS "POSIX" ACLs over the wire and DosAttrib xattr

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Nov 19 19:13:54 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 01:09:35PM -0600, Steve French wrote:
> Made a start today at adding support for CIFS Posix ACLs over the wire
> and the 1st part is checked into bk://cifs.bkbits.net/linux-2.5cifs
>
> Noticed that Samba 3 smbclient has a getfacl option which sends the new
> level 0x204 (which Samba 3.0.9pre server rejected - need to check if
> they are things I have to add to smb.conf for this).  Looks pretty
> straightfoward to implement the rest of get in the cifs client so we
> should be able to display the acls soon (not sure what I want to do with
> cifs_permission yet though).

Cool ! Thanks - I'm working on the setfacl example code in the client.

> On the dos attrib front ... will probably also add support for the
> Samba4 layout (forgot to check whehter Samba3 uses the same layout) of
> the user.DosAttrib pseudo-xattr (simply returning info I already save in
> the cifs specific part of the inode struct).   Also made "os2." prefix a
> synoym for "user." prefix in xattrs (JFS displays xattrs from migrated
> os/2 volumes with the os2. prefix) - I strip them (os2 and user) both
> off before sending them to the server but am not planning on sending
> requests for "user.DosAttrib" over the wire).

Why are you getting access to the ea directly ? Doesn't the Samba4
server filter out direct requests for these (after all they're internal
state info) ? I would have thought the CIFS interfaces to this state
were all that were needed or am I missing something ?

Jeremy.