[linux-cifs-client] CIFS memory problem

Randall Bramley bramley at cs.indiana.edu
Thu Nov 18 21:10:16 GMT 2004

This may be a well known bug with CIFS, but I have found next to nothing
that solves the problem.  Executive summary: we run a CIFS server on a
Windows machine, and cross-mount it with a Linux box.  Accessing a directory
on the CIFS and executing just plain "ls" eventually causes kernel memory
to run out and the system to lock up.  "Eventually" means within a matter
of minutes, not weeks.  /proc/slab shows a rapid increase of the memory
as soon as the cifs-vfs mounted shares were used.

Detailed logs, kernel messages, and /proc/slab info about this problem is
posted at
    http://iri-web.informatics.indiana.edu/~kihuffma/cifstest_269/

Has anyone else noted this problem?

Thanks,