[linux-cifs-client] Query related to CIFS

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 15 17:04:01 GMT 2004

> Do we need server to support cifs file system inorder to mount
> the shared folder(shared  using samba daemon ) via cifs on network.

No, the cifs filesystem (/lib/modules/2.6.x/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko) is
only required on the client system.  Samba server runs just fine without
any smb/cifs kernel modules (although in the future we may have a server
side security module unrelated to the client's cifs vfs - ie an optional
LSM kernel module to help Samba with ACL authorization at some point in
the future).

Understanding why the client's mount worked to Windows but failed to Samba
is hard to guess without knowing the error message on mount (detailed
debug information can also be obtained from the kernel's dmesg log by
turning on extended debugging info before the mount - ie "echo 1 >
/proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI" and when the mount fails typing "dmesg" to display
the recent informational messages to the screen).  The most common reason
for the failure is not defining the user with the same password (or
domain) on the Samba server as on the Windows server.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com