[linux-cifs-client] Query related to CIFS

Saikrishna bvss at iitg.ernet.in
Sun Nov 14 12:55:27 GMT 2004

Hi,
 	Do we need server to support cifs file system inorder to mount
the shared folder(shared  using samba daemon ) via cifs on network.I got
operation not permitted message when i tried to mount my samba shared
partition on a linux server (details below ) on a client in our network.
I dont understand why this mounting fails if the server doesnt support
cifs.

I am able to mount shared folders on windoze machines via cifs.
this is the command i used to mount the shares.

$mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password=abc123  //ipaddress/share dir

Some body please clarify me.Some more information here

Linux server :

smb & nmb daemons running.
this is the /proc/filesystems on linux server.

nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc