[linux-cifs-client] Re: level 261 findfirst

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 10 18:35:02 GMT 2004

> Trying some experiments today with level 261 of SMB trans2 FindFirst
>
> Also looks like Samba 4 header is wrong (unless I am misreading
> something).  The UniqueId/InodeNumber is at offset 0x48 from the start
> of a search entry (for level 261), and the name itself at offset 0x50,
> yet smb-interfaces.h shows struct full_directory_info

> Isn't that wrong or is there some magic that fixes the string len up and
> puts it earlier in the frame?

Found out from tridge that there is magic - in Samba 4 the header is not
meant as an exact match to the onwire format - the C code that pulls
this data off the wire and the server code that puts it back on the wire
have fixed offsets that they use ie numeric offsets hardcoded in the C
file rather than the c files using the header for specifying the wire
format - the header does contain all of the key fields but not
necessarily in the order/packing they go on the wire.