[linux-cifs-client] lstat reporting different inode numbers on smb than it does on other filesystems

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 2 18:10:44 GMT 2004

> on ext2/3 and friends, the inod numbers in an lstat are the same for
both the
>source and the destination of a hardlink, on cifs, it gets its own inode
>number, that is then passed.

I can use the inode number from the server, but I risk inode number
collisions if the server exports two mounted filesystems under the same
share.

If you would like I can send you a patch to use the server's inode number,
but it would probably be best to make that optional (a mount parm or
/proc/fs/cifs config file).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com