[linux-cifs-client] Error copying some files from Samba Server

Albert Cervera Areny informatic at sedifa.com
Fri May 28 08:33:33 GMT 2004

Hi,
        I'm trying to use CIFS to copy some files from a Linux Samba
server to my Linux box but I does'nt copy all of them. Sometimes
it stops after 3MB (sometimes
 before, sometimes after). Copying those files to a Windows 2000 box works
 perfectly well so I imagine the problem is with cifs from the Linux kernel.
 After some time it has stopped copying I start getting messages like these:

cp: failed stat() on «/mnt/Nueva carpeta/25 ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA/25
ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA 005.jpg»: Input/Output Error
cp: listing attributes of «/mnt/Nueva carpeta/25 ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA/25
ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA 009.jpg»: Input/Output Error
cp: failed stat() on «/mnt/Nueva carpeta/25 ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA/25
ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA 010.jpg»: The device or address doesn't exist
cp: reading «/mnt/Nueva carpeta/25 ANIVERSARIO PAPA Y MAMA/25 ANIVERSARIO
 PAPA Y MAMA 012.jpg»: Input/Output Error

(The messages appeared in Catalan so I translated them back to English.)

CPU usage stays between 16 - 24 %
If I try to cd /mnt (where the mount is) It usually hangs forever.

Some of the messages that appear at kern.log are:

May  6 09:48:37 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: CIFS: caught signal
May  6 09:48:37 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: No task to wake, unknown frame
 rcvd!

These appear not just when it locks but some time after, can't tell exactly
when. And some other messages appear:

 May  6 09:53:24 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in Close = -5
May  6 09:53:34 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Need to reconnect after session
 died to server
May  6 09:53:44 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Need to reconnect after session
 died to server
May  6 09:53:44 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Error 0xfffffffb or (-5 decimal) on
cifs_get_inode_info in lookup
May  6 09:53:50 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Error 0xfffffffa or (-6 decimal) on
cifs_get_inode_info in lookup
May  6 09:57:44 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -5
May  6 09:57:55 albert kernel:  CIFS VFS: Need to reconnect after session
 died to server

Would It help to look at some other log files, or would somebody like me to
make some other tests? I don't know anything of Linux Kernel programming but
I'd like to help if you want me to test anything.

Thanks!