[linux-cifs-client] Re: zombie cifsd kernel threads

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue May 25 19:52:39 GMT 2004

My guess about seeing a zombie cifsd thread that goes away on unmount - in
that version of the 2.4 cifs code, cifsd had cases in which it would
prematurely exit due to what turned out to be "expected" network errors. I
have reworked the "cifs_demultiplex_thread" function (which is running in
the cifsd background process, one per server you are connected to, and is
used to receive all smb/cifs replies from the server and dish them out to
the right process on the client) in 2.6 but have not backported it to
Linux 2.4 yet.

If you can still do operations to the server, then cifsd is working of
course no matter what its process state displays as on your distro, but if
you are seeing requests hang and cifsd in zombie state then I expect that
it would be fixed by a backport of the fixes in cifs_demultiplex_thread
code in fs/cifs/connect.c from 2.6 to 2.4    I know there are cases I have
fixed in which cifsd could prematurely exit in that older version of the
cifs vfs.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com