[linux-cifs-client] Error mounting multiple Win2003 CIFS shares with different user credentials

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri May 21 14:59:23 GMT 2004

> work fine individually (ie the first mount point is
> unmounted before the second command is executed).
>
>If the second mount command is executed before the first share is
>unmounted the server returns an NT_LOGIN_ERROR message and abruptly
>closes both connections.
>
> Does any one know if allowing only a single user
> per machine to authenticate to a Win2003 is a
> new Microsoft 'feature'? Or is this an issue
> with the mount helper utility

I don't think that this is a Windows 2003 issue, although it is possible
that some of their security fixes affected the behavior of multiple smb
connections over a single socket.

If you are using smbfs and it works, it is likely because it using a
distinct socket for each smbmnt (1 user per socket, two sockets probably).
It should be possible ala terminal server to make multiple user connections
over a single socket but the cifs code may have a bug with this- checking
for the value of the smb header vcnum may help get to the bottom of this.

I have not had much time to spend on the 2.4 code since the 2.6 code has
been keeping me busy.     We badly need to do a wholesale backport of the
current 2.6 code to 2.4 so we can do simple diff/patch in the future to
keep the 2.4 code up to date with 2.6 fixes less painfully.   Fortunately
all but four or five source files only have minor differences between 2.4
and 2.6 so we may be able to do a copy of them intact and then reintegrate
the 2.4 specific work.    There are only a few such as cifsfs.c and file.c
that have more significant differences caused by the addition of 2.6
features and structure renames.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com