[linux-cifs-client] Error mounting multiple Win2003 CIFS shares with different user credentials

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Thu May 20 09:53:50 GMT 2004

I am running Debian Testing, Samba 3.0.2 with CIFS enabled 2.4.24
kernel and mount.cifs version 1.3

I can successfully make mount multiple Windows 2003 server shares when
authenticating as the same user. The problem arises when I try to then
mount a share on the same server using different user credentials.

For example the individual directives:
mount -t cifs //SERVER/Share1 /mnt/share1 -o
user=user1,domain=EXAMPLE,pass=example1
and
mount -t cifs //SERVER/Share2 /mnt/share2 -o
user=user2,domain=EXAMPLE,pass=example2

work fine individually (ie the first mount point is unmounted before
the second command is executed).

If the second mount command is executed before the first share is
unmounted the server returns an NT_LOGIN_ERROR message and abruptly
closes both connections.

I can successfully connect to multiple Windows 2000 or Samba shares
from the same machine using any combination of user credentials (using
SMBFS). The problem seems to lie with Win2003 & CIFS.

Does any one know if allowing only a single user per machine to
authenticate to a Win2003 is a new Microsoft 'feature'? Or is this an
issue with the mount helper utility not being able to handle different
user credentials authenticating to the same server?

I really need to mount a host of shares using different user profiles
from the same Win2003 server that is not under my direct control. If
anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.