[linux-cifs-client] 'user' on fedora core

Richard Hughes ee21rh at eim.surrey.ac.uk
Fri May 14 15:25:05 GMT 2004

Steve,

I use a central file server that contains my home directory. Attempting
to mount the cifs shares as a user (i.e. non root) always fails with:

"invalid or missing username"

The entries in fstab are as such:

//hughsie/home1	/mnt/home1	cifs	user,noauto,rw,credentials=/etc/passwd-hughsie
//hughsie/home2	/mnt/home2	cifs	user,noauto,rw,user=bla,pass=bloo

This is clearly due to mount.cifs looking for "user" in the mount line,
and finding no value.

Typing "man mount" gives me what I should expect:

 user
  Allow an ordinary user to mount the file system. The
 name of the mounting user is written to mtab so that he
 can unmount the file system again. This option implies
 the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden
 by subsequent options, as in the option line
 user,exec,dev,suid).

 users
  Allow every user to mount and unmount the file system.
 This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
 (unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the
 option line users,exec,dev,suid).

Perhaps be changing mount.cifs to look for "username" (like smbfs was)
instead of "user" would save many headaches in the future.

I appreciate that many things would have to be changed (website,
manpage, mount.cifs.c etc.) but I cannot begin rolling out CIFS as a
replacement for smbfs until logon scripts can mount directories as the
logon-user. I believe this would be a common case that many people
require.

 Richard Hughes