[linux-cifs-client] umount fails on logout with pam_mount-0.9.14

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue May 4 16:49:50 GMT 2004

>> modules.   Do you see any data in the kernel log (or dmesg output) on
the
>> umount (just prior to the umount you can enable debug loggin for cifs
via
>> "echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI")?

>I have done that and attach the messages log
>I have debugging on in pam_mount.conf also
>
> Does the cifs log go into messages also?

Looks like there is no interesting cifs data in the log, unless you are
running a distro (like Fedora) that filters informational messages before
they are logged (in that case I change the cFYI macro as below) or just
dump from the command line
        "dmesg > savefile"

#define cifsfyi(format,arg...) if (cifsFYI) printk(KERN_DEBUG

#define cifsfyi(format,arg...) if (cifsFYI) printk(KERN_ERR

/proc/fs/cifs has configuration files that enabling/disabling CIFS
warnings and errors but there is a distinct proc settings used on some of
the distros by the log daemon that controls whether warning and debug
messages are logged at all.

The mount.cifs utility itself does no logging, but displays slightly more
debug output with the verbose flag (--verbose option on mount).  The
mount.cifs utility should probably be changed so it can do logging for
cases like this when the path or command string itself looks corrupted.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com